Saltburn.jpeg

Review: 'Saltburn' will burn a hole into your mind

"Saltburn" wraps uneasiness around 2000s nostalgia to make a film you’ll have to watch to understand. This movie truly takes so many twists and turns. With dark comedy, horror and a lot of discomfort, it's one to watch.

Synopsis

In director Emerald Fennell's sophomore film, the story begins in 2006 at Oxford University. A student, Oliver Quick (Barry Keoghan) finds himself quickly falling into the world of a charming aristocratic classmate, who quickly becomes an unlikely friend. After tragedy in Quick's life Felix (Jacob Elordi) invites him to his family's sprawling estate for a summer that won't be quickly forgotten.

Starring Barry Keoghan as Oliver Quick, Jacob Elordi as Felix Catton, Rosamund Pike as Elsbeth Canton, and Archie Madekwe as Farleigh.

Highs

All the elements of the film together top the cherry on the proverbial pie. From the cinematography to the music, and especially the actors, make this film amazing. Barry Keoghan plays the perfect person to root for and sympathize with, even when he’s done wrong; while Jacob Elordi plays the perfect rich kid with a kind side. All the actors in the film play their part amazingly. I'd have to read the script completely to give full credit to the actors or Emerald Fennell’s influence, but it’s all amazing. Not to mention, every single shot in this film looks spectacular. From the beautiful English castle as the major location to simply how this film is produced, it is incredible; it gives wealth, beauty and intrigue that will be ingrained into your mind.

Honorable mention: the main song of the film “Murder On The Dancefloor” by Sophie Ellis-Bextor will be stuck in your head for eternity. It fits the film perfectly and I'm surprised it wasn't made for it. 

Lows 

The biggest problem I have is that the setup of the movie is confusing. Our main character Oliver is seen speaking in the future at the start of the film, but it never really cleans itself up. We see this time in his life, but we never know why he’s filming himself in a documentary-esque style. Is it his personality or something more than that? I'm not sure. What I do know is that is the one loose end I kept thinking about even after the film was finished. Even writing this I’m thinking I may have missed something (but that's highly doubtful).

Verdict 

Nothing could have prepared me for this movie and I like the aspect of the unknown, especially in a culture where movies are usually easy to predict. I think as a complete package, “Saltburn” does a great job of melting your mind and making you want to watch it again. If you have two hours to spare, this film is worth the watch.

I give “Saltburn” an 8 out of 10 rating.