The Eastern Echo Sunday, June 16, 2024 | Print Archive

Mens Baseball 3/25/23

Eagles' Kleiman hits third consecutive homer, but Eastern Michigan falls short in season finale against Northern Illinois, 9-8

In 2024, Kleiman made history as the first Eagle to hit a home run in three consecutive games

Brendan Kleiman (Olney, Maryland/Sherwood/Frederick C.C.) showcased his talent at the plate by hitting a home run for the third consecutive game from May 16-18. This achievement makes Kleiman the sole Eagle to accomplish such a feat in the 2024 baseball season for Eastern Michigan University and cements his place in the team's history.

Kleiman's impressive batting statistics for the day include going 2-for-4 with a home run, a walk, and two runs batted in (RBI). Another notable player for the Eagles was senior Cory Taylor (Shelbyville, Indiana/Shelbyville), who went 3-for-4 with a double and two RBI while also stealing two bases. Additionally contributing to Eastern Michigan's efforts was Logan Milene (Rochester, Minnesota/Rochester Century/North Iowa Area C.C.), who secured one hit, a walk, and two RBI.

Throughout the game, the Eagles demonstrated their resilience. Despite initially trailing 1-0, they rallied in the second inning to take a 2-1 lead. Even as Northern Illinois fought to even the score, Eastern Michigan surged ahead 7-3 in the seventh inning. The Huskies mounted a comeback, but the Eagles never gave up. In the ninth inning, despite the game concluding in a 9-8 defeat, Kleiman's impressive home run was a testament to the team's unwavering spirit.

Eastern Michigan concluded its 52-game regular season with a batting average of .300, marking the highest average for an Eagles team since the 2004 squad, which boasted a .314 average.