Republicans try to expand voter base post-election

GOP politicians can only gain minority votes with sincerity, not pandering or hostility

America: The land of opportunity. That’s the theory, at least.

The 2012 presidential election showed quite clearly that minority voters tend to vote Democratic — for some reason I’m sure no one could possibly answer. In any case, a Nov. 12 Christian Science Monitor article said, “More than 70 percent of Hispanic voters chose President [Barack] Obama last week, confirming his pre-election prediction that Republicans couldn’t win the presidency with xenophobic zeal that alienates Hispanics or with out-of-touch proposals such as Mitt Romney’s suggestion that illegal immigrants opt for ‘self-deportation.’”

Apparently, the GOP works for the Imperium of Man’s Order Xenos. So now that the election showed non-whites won’t vote for them, they suddenly actually care about expanding their voter base. How gracious of them to extend human dignity and decency to a new generation of hopeful future American Republican voters. I mean citizens.

That may sound cynical, but it could be a viable strategy. As anyone who’s ever seen the movie “Gangs of New York” can tell you, immigrants and politicians have had an odd relationship. For as long as Americans have been living here, it seems they’ve been wary and downright hostile to the next wave of immigrants. Meanwhile, their votes were courted by politicians running for office.

Irish, Eastern European and now Mexicans. Maybe Americans just don’t like Catholics, though I seem to recall something in the Constitution about that. It was related to freedom of some sort, but I can’t quite recall it right now.

In any case, if the GOP is going to try and seriously extend its voter base, it’s going to have to do it sincerely and seriously. Basic pandering won’t work and will only make non-GOP voters even more hostile to the party.

The Christian Science Monitor article also points out Hispanics tend to be socially conservative, so there is a basis for voter courting from the GOP. This issue is more about just voting results, however.

Our nation is one of immigrants. Forged in blood and iron, the American Empire has spread from sea to shining sea. New Americans seeking a home and a place to raise their family in security built that nation. To turn our backs on that proud tradition is to ignore everything that has made this nation great.

Republican, Democrat, Catholic, Protestant, Muslim, farm worker, factory lineman or other are meaningless titles and labels. Immigrants in or coming into this nation are Americans. That has been true for over 200 years and should continue to be true so long as this nation is a nation of the people, for the people and by the people.