EMU men's golf presented with recognition

EMU men's golf team and coach Bruce Cunningham recognized at board of regents meeting

The team earned their third title in franchise history this past season and set a school record.

The Eastern Michigan University Board of Regents recognized the men's golf team for earning their third title in franchise history. The Eagles set a school record with the lowest scoring average for a four-player team.

Zack Mason, a redshirt sophmore who averaged a 77.09 in his 2018-19 campaign, finished 26th overall in the Mid-American Conference (MAC).

"It feels great [to be honored]," said Mason. "The season was a lot of fun."

Beau Breault, Mason's teammate, was selected as the 2019 MAC golfer of the year during their 2018-19 campaign and is currently a senior. He was unable to make the ceremony.

EMU President James Smith and regent member Alexander Simpson shaking hands with members of the EMU men's golf team after honoring them for their 2018-19 championship.

Teammate Ty Celone and Breault were named first team all-MAC. Zach Sundinsky earned all-tournament honors with a fifth-place finish.

Tony Fuentes, a readshirt sophmore, played in the EKU Intercollegiate and finished with a 226.

"It's definitely a privilege," said Fuentes. "I'm just really excited to be here."

EMU President James Smith approved for three-year contract extention

The Eastern Michigan University Board of Regents unanimously approved a three-year contract extension for President James Smith at their October meeting. "I'm delighted to be here," Smith said. "I love what I do. I love who our campus is; I love our students."

EMU President James Smith and Regent Alexander Simpson presented the team with a plaque commemorating their achievement.

Coach Bruce Cunningham, 2019 MAC golf coach of the year, was also recognized for his achievements. Cunningham has coached EMU golf for 26 years.

This was the Eagle's first MAC championship victory since 2008. They will play their next match against Ball State in February.