Snow Health Center offers H1N1 shots

Snow Health Center hosted another H1N1 vaccination clinic from 3-6 p.m. Tuesday. The event was organized by registered nurses Lori Kilian and Ann Marie.

Twenty-two people received vaccinations, the majority of those being children of EMU students.

“This is really important because young children and just children in general, even up to college students are the ones most susceptible to the H1N1 virus,” Marie said.

Children under 9 will need either two injections or nasal spray doses of the vaccine. Individuals beyond 9 need just one.

“It’s really important to come in and get the H1N1 vaccine,” Marie said. “The virus can still come out and it is better to prevent it now. The H1N1 vaccination is still very relevant because the flu season doesn’t end until April possibly May.”
Kilian emphasized the importance of good hygiene practices to help prevent the spread of the virus.

“We are in a heavy flu season,” she said. “Eat right, wash your hands, wash your hands, and wash your hands.”

Fevers more than 100 degrees, chills, fatigue and body aches are symptoms strongly associated with the flu. It is highly recommended anyone experiencing these symptoms stay home until the fever has broken for 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing drugs.

Soreness and swelling at the site of the injection and fatigue are potential side effects of the vaccine.

Kilian is urging students to go to their doctor to get vaccinated.

“The H1N1 vaccination is serious and college students should definitely come in and get vaccinated,” Kilian said.

Vaccination shots and nasal sprays are $10. Individuals interested in getting vaccinated can visit Snow Health Center throughout the week.

The Health center is open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.