Registration begins for winter semester

In the past two years, enrollment for winter semesters has been significantly lower than enrollment for fall semesters, according to Eastern Michigan University’s Institutional Research and Information Management website.

In 2009, EMU had only 20,737 students registered for winter semester. This number jumped to 22,931 students in the fall but dropped again to 21,739 the following winter. This number is lower than the number of students enrolled for classes in the fall of 2009 as well as the most recent fall semester, totaling 23,504 students enrolled.

“I think one of the biggest challenges students face during registration (is) not understand(ing) prerequisites, which could mean students being unaware of their math placement level and not knowing that a class is needed before the can qualify to fulfill their requirement,” said Molly Wier, Associate Director at EMU’s Academic Advising Center.  “Also, some classes have labs that students are not aware need to be scheduled separately because they are not linked to the original course sign up.”

Every student has his or her own method for registering and different factors affecting what classes they choose. Many go to advisors to help them stay clear of problems that could arise from signing up for the wrong classes.

Josh Shaw, 19 and an EMU student, follows an advising sheet he got from the university as a freshman for his general education credits and sees an adviser to map out different routes for the classes he takes with his major.

“I mostly pick classes off the advising sheets based on interest,” Shaw said. “Weather has never really been a factor because I live on campus.”

Weir said, “Weather is not as much of a factor anymore when it comes to registering. In the past people used to have to come in and wait in long lines. Now students can do it in the comfort of their own home with a computer.”

Not only do students have the option of registering online, but the number of online courses offered has been steadily increasing and weather might become less and less of a factor.

On the other hand, EMU student Zack Franklin, 19, has other factors affecting the courses he selects.
“I like to sleep in, so all my classes will be after 11 a.m.,” Franklin said. “I will probably want to make sure the classes I take are closer together, so I won’t have to walk all over in the cold, but I mostly pick the gen eds that look fun.”

There are other obstacles facing students when it comes to registering for classes. Besides deciding what courses to take, many students struggle with financial aid issues.

“I have the GI Bill where the money used to pay tuition comes monthly,” Mike Franklin said. “I have to call at the end of the month for money, and because I can’t pay tuition until a month late, I have to jump through hoops to even register.”

There is a recent change of EMU’s advising services merging with career services, which has caused many general education advisers to move to McKenny Union, room 200.
The first day of registration for priority students, including Honors students, doctoral fellows and graduate assistants, was Monday. From there it goes by class standing and credit hours, devoting two days for each level. Winter Registration opens up to all students including those with zero credit hours on Nov. 11.

For students who believe they need extra help registering there is an event put on by housing entitled “Registration Blitz” from 6-9 p.m. on Nov. 11 at EMU’s Student Center. There will be advisers, representatives from records and registration, some financial aid representatives and an adviser from most colleges. Institutional Technology will be there to set up laptops, so students might register on-site. In the past, more than 200 students have attended this event for advising, and it might be a good way to assist students with any registration problems they have.

“The key is to register early when the classes are available, plan ahead and know the classes you want to take and see an adviser,” Weir said.