Wrestling Dual with Kent State -- Feb. 13

EMU's senior day ends with blow-out win for Kent State wrestling in dual meet

The Eastern Michigan University wrestling team hosted the Kent State Flashes on Sunday, losing 30-3, in the Mid-American Conference dual meet.

Ranked 15th in the country, Kent State was relentless, only giving up a single match to red-shirt sophomore Chris Egbert.

Sunday was also Senior Day for the Eagles, who honored red-shirt seniors Nick Hendrick and David Wade. Before the match, coach Derek DelPorto met the two seniors, along with their parents, on the floor for the singing of the national anthem.

The two seniors’ stats and career notables were also announced to the crowd in their honor. However, with the loss, the Eagles are 11-9 (0-3 MAC) on the year, and losers of three-straight matches.

Some season statistics for the Eagle seniors are a combined record of 27-18 (3-1 MAC). David Wade is tied for 3rd on the team in wins behind junior Filiberto Colon, who has 17 wins, and red-shirt freshman Jared Germaine, who has 16.

“They’re the 15th ranked team in the country and you got to put yourself in a better position to win than what we did today,” said DelPorto, who is in his 6th season with the team.

Based on the team score, one would think the Eagles were in fact blown out, but there were some matches that were close. Some matches ended with scores decided by only one or two points.

“A 30-3 score doesn’t indicate what happened in the individual matches very well. Overall, disappointing, but there were some bright spots,” DelPorto said.

With the win, Kent State maintains their first-place spot in the MAC with a record of 13-5. DelPorto is confident the team can bounce back by simply doing what they always do in practice by out-conditioning, build early leads and most importantly, maintain that lead to pull out for a win.

“We weren’t able to maintain our lead today,” DelPorto said. “We were up 6-2 on the number 8 wrestler in the country who is a returning All-American athlete and he somehow found a way back to win and that is the difference between us and them right now.”

The Eagles are back in action when they travel to face Central Michigan University on Thursday. The Chippewas are 5-8 (1-1 MAC) on the season and sit in 5th place in the MAC conference.