Study tips help beat pull of distractions

The exam was in less than 12 hours. It was time to start studying.

She sat down at her desk and picked up her notebook. After flipping through a few pages, she decided to look at the online resources her professor had provided in his syllabus.

She turned on her computer and opened the Internet, her Facebook homepage popping up. Surely looking through her notifications wouldn’t take too long?
With less than nine hours before the exam, no studying had been accomplished, but she had updated her Facebook, stalked her ex’s new girlfriend, updated her Twitter, reblogged several cats on Tumblr and doodled her crush’s name into her notebook a significant number of times.

Though this is not a recipe for success in college, Kati Parks, a freshman taking 13 credit-hours admits she easily loses five hours a day to Facebook, Tumblr and other social media sites. Parks isn’t the only student who finds Facebook a perfect means for procrastination.

Nick Pomante, a student with 16 credit hours on his plate, admitted, “When a teacher says to do something online, it’s not good. It’s the World Wide Web. When I open the Internet up, I realize I have access to so many different things.”

Steve VanGordor, a senior balancing 12 credit hours including the ever-complex Business Japanese is easily distracted in other ways. “Other people. They’re just like, ‘Hey you wanna hang?’ I lose a lot of time that way.”

With so many distractions, it’s hard to imagine anyone does any studying around here. Yet perhaps it’s these distractions that make finding a good study method even more important.

Parks discovered her study method of choice when her math teacher suggested the class check out the Math Lab. Curious, Parks decided to do just that.

“You can just go there and do homework and ask questions when you get stuck,” she said. By the time Parks has to study for an actual test, she already knows the information and reviews by looking in her math book for problems to practice and rewriting her notes.

Pomante explained his best study method. “I go to the library and I sit in one of those cells where I can’t see anything and just work.” Dabbeck, in response to Pomante’s comment, said he would rather study in his room.

Cory Hill said he starts studying about 45 minutes before class starts in order to review the material, while VanGordor says he’ll spend “Probably about 2-3 hours per day studying… mostly repetition, going over material, reading the information over and over and over.”

Derek Moskal said, “When I get a little tired I take a break to play solitaire then finish my homework.”

While there are good ideas of different methods of studying, Sarah Mosher and Amelia Parnis who tutor at the Holman Success Center, advocate getting the information into one’s brain in as many ways as possible.

“Notes. Prior to the exam, I sit and make a new list of the material,” Mosher said. “Rewriting is the best tool… Rewrite the notes in your own words, [rather than copying exactly what the professor/book said]. Especially write, don’t type.” Mosher continued, mentioning how useful it is to outline the notes, and that she spends a lot of her tutoring time teaching people how to outline information.

In turn, Parnis said, “I’m a big flashcard person. I use them for definitions, even for memorizing pictures for my art appreciation class.”

The method of using flashcards is a major practice of Maria Stoll and Olivia Leonardi as well. Stoll having said, “I use flashcards religiously. I think I have used 16 packs already [this year].”

Of course, in order to make flashcards, the person must first be able to identify the important information.

When working as a tutor, Mosher said, “We read through the book and teach the student to be able to identify the main points, which can include things that are bolded and italicized.”

Even more important than being able to identify the main points and knowing how to write notes, Mosher said, “You have to be willing to learn.”

If you have fantastic study methods you’d wish to share, or if you’re the person who could perhaps benefit from a little extra help, check out the Holman Success Center at http://www.emich.edu/hsc/. They’re always looking for new tutors and are always willing to give help in areas that need a little extra effort.