EMU vs. Ohio University

Eagles earn second consecutive MAC West regular season title, win 3-0 over Bowling Green

McCabe earns eighth shutout of the season

The Eastern Michigan University soccer team earned a repeat as Mid-American Conference West Division regular season champions with a 3-0 victory over Bowling Green Thursday afternoon.

Megan McCabe earned her eighth shutout of the season for the Eagles (11-6-1, 7-4 MAC) – saving all four shots she faced.

The junior moved into fourth place in school history with her 13th career shutout, passing Erin Norton who blanked 12 opponents from 1996-99.

Coach Scott Hall was impressed with his team's win.

"I am very proud of this team earning back-to-back MAC West titles, which is a first in our program's history," he said. "This team did not really celebrate what it accomplished, but instead took a professional focus that will move forward as we prepare for our MAC Tournament quarterfinal game on Sunday."

Chelsea Oddan (10’), Angela Vultaggio (36’) and Ellie Tillar (56’) scored for Eastern.

Lauren Cadel made seven saves on ten shots for the Falcons (4-13-1, 3-7-1 MAC).

Looking Ahead

The Eagles will begin the MAC playoffs Sunday against Western Michigan.

Eastern shut out the Broncos 1-0 last Sunday. Tillar scored the lone goal for EMU.

Hall said his team would need to bring energy to the playoff game against Western - something he thought they did well against Bowling Green.

"We had great energy throughout today's game," he said. "The team played as one cohesive unit, which led to great execution and a great result. We need to come out ready to do the same thing against Western Michigan on Sunday."

The game is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m.

As the game is a MAC event, there is a cost for admission. EMU students will be charged $3, while non-students will pay $5.

Social Media

Follow Al Willman on Twitter: @AlWillmanEcho