resident-housing-forum

Resident Housing held forum to discuss the future of EMU

Jeanette Zalba, EMU Director of Housing and Residence Life, held an open forum on Thursday evening to discuss the concerns following the racist hate speech found on Eastern Michigan University campus. She admitted that addressing concerns following the racially motivated crimes has been a work in progress. To assist in easing the process she invited members of faculty and administration to sit in on the discussion, and to also be potential resources for students.

Director Zalba aligned with other members of administration and vocalized her desire to receive student feedback.

Many students used the opportunity to express their frustration caused by the lack of faculty representation during crisis. Some students also feel they have not been adequately informed of precautions, resolutions, and updates throughout the time of crisis. Four email updates were issued and were not thoroughly absorbed by the student body.

There has been continued dialog between student representatives and administration, but students feel the principles of inclusiveness EMU states they stand for are not being adequately applied. Students continue to feel their concerns aren't being received. Participants in the forum called for a different more accessible form of communication from administration.

“Students with concerns can come to my office or submit the anonymous form online. We are going through the suggestions to pull out common themes, and we are using that information to understand the resolutions students want to see. We value and pride ourselves on having a diverse and inclusive community,” said Calvin Phillips, Associate Vice President of Student Affairs.

Dr. Phillips has been a constant face of administration at events geared towards creating an outlet for students. On Tuesday when he met with students on the porch of the University House alongside President James Smith he made a vow to attend as many events as possible. He is working on different ways to heighten cultural sensitivity on campus.

Because resident students call EMU both home and school so it is important they feel they have sense of belonging and safety. During the discussion the student faculty members within Resident Life voiced that they don't feel informed enough to use their positions of influence to benefit resident students. Student faculty also expressed the need for cultural sensitivity.

Several Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) representatives were present for the discussion after also attending the unity rally earlier in the day. CAPS has partnered with students, and EMU Diversity and Involvement to put together a secure platform where students can discuss their concerns. 

“There are problems here, and this situation illuminates that there are problems here,” said Jeanette Zalba, EMU Director of Housing and Residence Life. “I talk to some students they say yeah the spray paint is really horrible, but I’ve seen racism here before this. There is no doubt to me that this situation illuminates and ongoing problem on our campus that is bigger than pizza and soda.”

Provided on easternecho.com is link to the anonymous suggestion form.

Anonymous Suggesion Form

To contact EMU Public Safety call 911 or 734.487.1222