Ypsilanti meals on wheels 2

Local non-profit organization, Ypsilanti Meals on Wheels, building broken into; safe stolen

A non-profit organization, Ypsilanti Meals on Wheels was broken into the morning of Oct. 25.,with the safe being stolen. The staff reported the incident to the community on their Facebook page. No further updates have been released.

The Ypsilanti Police Department is investigating a recent burglary of the local non-profit organization, Ypsilanti Meals on Wheels. Their building at 1110 W Cross St. was broken into Oct. 25 at approximately 4:30 a.m. with only their safe being stolen. 

The organization reported the incident to the community later in the morning of Oct. 25 on their Facebook page along with a newly set up GoFundMe page to help out the loss of the safe. The GoFundMe page has raised $2,585 as of Nov. 2. 

Ypsilanti Meals on Wheels provides nutritious meals, social contact and other services for the homebound elderly, ill and disabled in eastern Washtenaw County, to enable them to enjoy healthier, safer, and more independent lives. The organization has been helping out the community since 1974. 

The Echo spoke with Volunteer Coordinator, Rolanda Logan, who arrived to their building shortly after it was first discovered being broken into. “A staff member reported the break-in once she arrived at the office,” Logan said. “ We looked through surveillance cameras and spotted a person walking towards our entrance door around 4:30 a.m. That is the only lead we have so far.”

Logan started the GoFundMe page and has said that she is happy how much the community cares.  The organization will be increasing their security by installing a sturdy door, adding cameras, and additional locks to secure the valuable items.

“It is sad and frightening that someone would do this” said Logan. “The thought will always be there on who would want to steal from us and why? We have a lot of volunteers and additional traffic coming through the office, so when this happened it made me realize I need to be more aware of my surroundings and to pay closer attention to those who come in our space.”

If you would like to help out Ypsilanti Meals on Wheels, check out their GoFundMe page.

Anyone with information related to these events is asked to contact the Ypsilanti Police Department at 734-483-9510.