Shrimp Flavours recipes

Review: Shrimp Flavours - Grab a bowl of authentic Indian curry near EMU's campus

Shrimp Flavours, an Indian restaurant that serves authentic curries, biryanis, and tandoori items, has recently opened near Eastern Michigan University's campus.

Shrimp Flavours, an Indian restaurant that serves authentic curries, biryanis, and tandoori items, recently opened in Ypsilanti at 529 W Cross St.

I bought my first bowl of curry from Shrimp Flavours on a lab day this winter. When I tasted the first spoon from their chicken Tikka Masala, its authentic spices and savory texture really warmed me up. All of their curry meals come with a bowl of basmati rice cooked with cinnamon sticks, cumin, and other herbs. I really recommend adding two pieces of garlic naan to enjoy both the “mix and dip” experience with their curries.

Syed Quadri, originally from Hyderabad, India, is the owner of Shrimp Flavours. 

“I traveled around the US for business purposes, and I found there is no authentic Indian restaurant in between Ann Arbor and Farmington Hills. There are a lot of different choices of food in Ypsilanti, but no Indian food,” said Syed. “EMU has a very diverse population which are open to trying different cuisines, also there are a lot of international students from India, I would really like to serve them the taste from home.”

Shrimp Flavours’ most popular dishes include Chicken Tikka Masala, Palak Paneer, Aloo Gobi, Bagare Baingan, and Tandoori chicken, all of which are all the most common dishes in India with a history of over 100 years.

“Most of the spices and ingredients for the curries are directly imported from India,” said Syed. “We also buy our meat, dairy products, and vegetables from local farmers.”

There are more than 20 types of different traditional Indian curries you can choose from Shrimp Flavours’ menu, with various combinations of chicken, vegetables, cottage cheese, or lamb. Customers can order with different levels of spiciness from mild, medium to spicy.

Bagare Baingan, roasted eggplant puree cooked with onions tomatoes herbs and spices.

Palak Paneer, cheese cubes and fresh spinach cooked with cream, herb and spices.

If you prefer the fried rice texture mixed with curries, you can try their Hyderabad famous dish biryanis that can go with chicken, lamb, shrimp, or vegetables.They also have shrimp items in four different flavors served with a side salad and garlic butter rice.

Spicy Shrimp, sautéed then tossed in homemade spicy sauce and seasoned with spicy herb. All of the shrimp items come with a side salad and garlic butter rice.

If you are a big fan of Buffalo chicken or looking for entrees to pair with beer, you might be interested to try their Chicken 65. It is a deep-fried boneless spicy chicken appetizer, marinated with a hot sauce called 65 with the rich flavor of chili pepper, garlic and ginger, which is a very popular Indian entree to go with alcoholic drinks. 

Chicken 65, a deep-fried boneless spicy chicken entre marinated with hot sauce, garnished with curry leaves and spices, is a very popular Indian entre to go with alcoholic drinks. 

Don’t forget to have a cup of their homemade mango lassi or masala tea, and try some Indian desserts such as Gulab Jamun, Rasmalai, and Gajar Halwa (carrot fudge).

Shrimp Flavors is currently focused on delivery services, but dine-in is also welcomed. You can order from their website, and follow their Instagram to see updates.

The dine-in area of Shrimp Flavours. Shrimp flavors are currently focusing on delivery services, but dine-in is also welcomed.