Eastern Michigan Vs. Toledo

EMU volleyball falls to Ball State University in weekend matches

Senior Samantha Basham finished with 24 kills collectively.

On Sept. 30 and Oct.1, the Eastern Michigan University volleyball team faced off against Ball State University in a two-day series inside Worthen Arena located in Muncie, Indiana.

The first game resulted in a 3-1 victory for the Cardinals, with the Eagles winning the first set 25-23. In the other three sets, BSU won 25-14, 25-17, and 25-16. The Eagles' record is now 1-15 overall and 0-4 in Mid-American Conference play.

On Friday, senior Samantha Basham ended with 16 kills to lead EMU’s attack. 

On defense, EMU had three players make it to double figures in digs. Freshman Carlina Bender had 16, freshman Emma McMahon contributed 14, and sophomore Kendall Burk added 11.

Senior Raeven Chase completed six blocks on the day.

On Saturday, the Eagles fought hard but fell 3-0 to the Cardinals. The scores of each set were 25-17, 25-19, and 25-16

Graduate student outside hitter Callie Minshew collected eight kills, leading EMU’s attack.

Freshman defensive specialist Emma McMahon led the team defensively with 11 digs.

The Eagles are now 1-6 against Ball State with coach Dary Dorton. The last win EMU had against BSU was on March 27, 2021, in five sets at home.

The Eagles will meet with both Ohio University and Kent State University on Oct.7-8 at the George Gervin GameAbove Center in Ypsilanti, Michigan. The Ohio match will start at 6 p.m. and the Kent State game will begin at 4 p.m.

For more information on the Eastern Michigan University women's volleyball team, you can visit EMUEagles.com.