The Eastern Echo Saturday, Aug. 31, 2024 | Print Archive

Eastern Michigan vs Marquette

EMU lacrosse takes heartbreaking loss against Akron, 10-9

Mackenzie Blackwell finishes with her sixth hat trick of the year

The Eastern Michigan women’s lacrosse team (1-13, 0-6 MAC) hosted the University of Akron Zips (2-14, 1-6 MAC) on Saturday, April 22, at Sciculna Field as four Eagles scored multiple goals led by freshman Mackenzie Blackwell (North Beach, Maryland), who finished with three in EMU’s tough 10-9 loss. 

EMU started the game off strong as they jumped out to an early 4-1 lead in the first quarter as Blackwell scored two of her three in the first 15 minutes. Akron would answer back with four goals of their own in the second quarter to equal the score at four all. 

Freshman Skylar Hilmer (San Diego, California) would then find the back of the net with seven seconds left to play in the first half to give the Eagles a 5-4 lead to enter halftime. 

The third quarter was much less of an offensive battle as the wet conditions allowed both squads to hold each other to just two goals apiece and enter the fourth quarter tied up at seven all. 

Akron would take their first lead of the day early in the fourth quarter as they would net a shot to go up 8-7, but Sydney Lawerence (Wylie, Texas) would answer back seconds later to tie the game back up at eight all. The Zips would go on to score two more and cause trouble for the Eagles the rest of the matchup to earn a 10-9 win in Ypsilanti, Michigan. 

The defensive effort from the Eagles was strong as they forced 22 turnovers in the game, marking the most in a single game in EMU lacrosse history. Lawrence was a big part of that effort as she totaled four caused turnovers, which marked the most ever in her career. 

Next up, the EMU lacrosse team will travel to Mount Pleasant, Michigan, for their final away matchup of the season on Wednesday, April 26. That game is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. 

For more information on the EMU women’s lacrosse team, you can listen to “TheBlockE Podcast” for updates and in-depth information on all EMU athletics.