FoiCz2caIAEVptT.jpg

Review: 'Luther: The Fallen Sun' is a captivating dark detective thriller with striking scenes

Netflix's newly released movie "Luther: The Fallen Sun" is a success in the genre of detectives and thriller movies.

Watching "Luther: The Fallen Sun" after seeing the poster might or might not shock the viewer. The poster displays a bloody man standing and looking alert to some kind of danger; however, that poster isn't enough to reveal the actual gems hidden in the movie. 

Synopsis

Netflix's newest film "Luther: The Fallen Sun," is a thriller full of suspenseful production. The main character of the film John Luther, played by Idris Elba, is a detective who is famous for his terrific ability to solve mysteries. Luther finds himself into some trouble after a criminal throws rumors around that send Luther behind bars. That same criminal then starts to spread terror across London by leading missions of terrifying murders. 

The interesting thing is that those victims appear to not have anything in common, making it impossible to detect the murderer. Things get interesting when Luther gets called by the criminal. Luther decides to go against the law to save London from what is going to happen next. 

Movie's Highs

To start, the movie has the most striking production and scenes I have ever seen. Everything fits perfectly within the genre of the dark detective movie. 

Furthermore, the way it presents people in London at night is evocative of how terrified the people were and how unaware they were. If a specific shot in a movie can evoke all these ideas, I don't know how else it can be described other than perfect production. 

Moreover, the plot of the movie is pretty well-written since nothing is expected or normal in the movie. The plot is rather able to captivate viewers from the first shot. 

Movie's Lows

One thing I found annoying is that some holes in the plot ruined the perfection of the movie. Starting with Luther getting arrested and being put in jail, no one knows for sure how or why a former detective chief inspector can go behind the bars this fast. It seemed like that part was skipped from the storyline, because if Luther was a great detective chief inspector in the beginning, how did he commit something that put him in jail? 

Another hole in the plot is when the criminal initiates this program where viewers choose how victims are being tortured. There is no way London's detectives couldn't track that action and get to the murderer. 

This movie isn't a short one, and although it had some holes in the plot, it was indeed able to make me enjoy every single second of it. 

I rate this movie a 9.5 out of 10.