The Eastern Echo Saturday, Aug. 31, 2024 | Print Archive

Brittni.jpg

Former EMU student gives back to African-American students through scholarship opportunities

Former EMU student Brittni L. Brown partners with EMUBA to create scholarships supporting public relations and journalism students.

Eastern Michigan University’s Black Alumni Association (EMUBA) is creating scholarship opportunities to support African-American students in their financial and professional needs. 

Former EMU student Brittni L. Brown got together with EMUBA to create the Brittni L. Brown Book scholarship. This scholarship would support African-American undergraduate students pursuing journalism and public relations. These are two fields that currently have a low percentage of African-American employees. 

“I wanted to make sure that there are more opportunities for African-American students and that they see there are Black men and women in this industry and field,” Brown said. “You don't have to be on the radio or a news anchor, but there are different ways you can hone in on the actual profession and that's why I wanted to create the scholarship.”

During her time at EMU, one of the first events that Brown attended was an event hosted by EMU’s Black Alumni Association. There, she received the first scholarship of her own from the association as an undergrad.

“I was introduced to a community where whatever you need help with, they are serving as that support system,” Brown said. “That scholarship gave me just the encouragement and push I needed. It could have been $500, $750, or $1,000, but it gave me just what I needed to pay for books and other things to that effect.”

Brown now works as the founder and principal publicist of The Bee Agency Public Relations, an internationally recognized public relations agency that specializes in strategy, event coordination, and hands-on strategic communications for brands. She holds a commitment of encouraging and aiding in the development of emergent PR professionals looking to hold careers in the communication and PR industry. 

“People like Brittni L. Brown has the passion to give back and pay it forward because somebody else gave them that opportunity,” Dr. Shetina M. Jones, president of the EMUBA, said.

Brown continues to strive for new, innovative ways to give back to the community and individuals in her profession. She hopes that her efforts will allow more African-American students to pursue public relations and journalism fields. 

The Brittni L. Brown scholarship accepts new applicants annually. For more information about the scholarship, visit EMU’s Black Alumni Association website.