sex_in_the_dark_png

Women's Resource Center hosts Sex in the Dark

Glow in the dark sexual health panel with safe sex kits is coming to EMU

Interactive event Sex in the Dark is coming to Eastern Michigan University on Thursday, Feb. 9.  

The event will feature a panel of sexual health experts, allowing attendees to have their questions answered anonymously. Students will receive glow stick bracelets and glasses as the event will take place with the lights off to give students a sense of anonymity. 

Sex in the Dark will be open to all students and will feature safe sex kits in partnership with Planned Parenthood Generation Action, a student organization on campus. 

The event was first created by two graduate students in 2013 at Boston University’s Student Health Services Wellness and Prevention Services department. The program spread to many other colleges and universities soon after. 

Here at EMU, a few additions have been made to the event. The Women’s Resource Center, the event’s host, has partnered with Campus Life to sponsor a social hour where students will be able to decorate cookies, enjoy a candy bar, and meet other students. 

Deanna Kowaleski, Women’s Resource Center program coordinator, wants the event to leave students with a positive impact.

“The hope is that students will leave feeling more informed about their sexual health, be better prepared to talk about sexual health issues with a partner and be more comfortable accessing sexual health resources on campus and within the community,” Kowaleski said. 

Sex in the Dark will take place from 6-8 p.m. in the Student Center Auditorium.

The Women’s Resource Center is available to all students Monday through Friday in the Student Center room 358, or at emu_womenscenter@emich.edu. They provide safe sex supplies, pregnancy tests, off campus resources and more.