The Eastern Echo Sunday, Sept. 1, 2024 | Print Archive

sex_in_the_dark_3_png

Club Spotlight: Planned Parenthood Generation Action gives people a reproductive voice at EMU

EMU Planned Parenthood Generation Action offers advice and resources to students

Planned Parenthood Generation Action at Eastern Michigan University is a college chapter of Planned Parenthood that focuses on giving students a reproductive voice.

Serving as a network of student activists, Planned Parenthood Generation Action organizes events on college campuses with the mission to spread awareness about reproductive rights and health.

The organization is widespread with nearly 350 groups on campuses across the country.

At EMU, the club initially started as Students for Choice, but was later picked up by Planned Parenthood in 2019 and became a chapter.

The group hosts several recurring events every year such as Costumes and Consent, which happens in October, and Paint and Pourgasm, which will occur in March.

Sex in the Dark — a collaborative event between the Women’s Resource Center, Campus Life and PPGA — took place on Feb. 9 and featured a panel of sexual health experts to answer students' questions anonymously, with the goal to inform students about sex in a safe space. The panel was followed by light refreshments, a cookie decorating station, and free safe sex kits for all attendees.

The event was first created in 2013 by Boston University Student Health Services, later spreading to many other universities.

Aiming to get students involved in the fight for reproductive freedom, the organization holds events for students that combine sex education and fun. During this past election cycle, a heavy emphasis was put on working with students to get reproductive rights on the ballot.

“We want to see more positive attitudes and environments around sex positivity and conversations around sex and reproductive rights and abortions,” Ameera Salman, vice president of the organization, said. “I think college students really care about these kinds of things and we are reflecting what the campus wants.”

As a Planned Parenthood chapter, the organization is a resource for students to access safe sex supplies such as condoms, dental dams and lube.

“We distribute a lot of safe sex materials that students would not have had or paid a lot of money for otherwise,” Daira Lloyd, president of the organization, said. “People can reach out to us at any time if they need anything. Resources, safe sex materials, someone to go to Planned Parenthood with them to get an abortion or anything we are more than willing to help.”